Log in

Mid-Atlantic Facilitators Network

MAFN's January 12th Online Workshop: Use an IR Digraph to Help Prioritize a Group of Goals or Ideas

  • 01/12/2024
  • 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
  • Online using Zoom


Registration is closed

Duration: 90-minute online workshop

About the workshop

An IR Digraph, from the quality management movement, helps you prioritize items from a systems approach. Based on Pareto's 80/20 rule, the tool helps you identify the 20% of the ideas or goals that will drive or influence the other 80%.

With the goals or ideas you want to work with, ask two simple questions: is there a strong relationship between this item and the next? if so, which one drives the other? Work through the items to identify the drivers in the system.

Learning Objectives 

In this session, participants will:

  • Learn a way to prioritize items or goals by using a systems approach instead of voting on what's popular.

  • Learn that some goals or ideas may have greater impact than others.
  • Learn to listen to a minority voice that may hold more wisdom than 'the crowd.'

NOTE: This workshop will be recorded for distribution to all who register (breakout rooms will not be recorded).

This is a 90-minute workshop. It will take place starting at 12:00pm EST


Since 1989, Anne Peyton has been consulting as Yellow Brick Road™ working with small- to medium-size nonprofits with a wide variety of missions.  She specializes in development and capital campaigns, strategic thinking and planning, and meeting/retreat planning and facilitation.  She has adapted tools from the business world to nonprofit management and using Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline for teaching workshops and working with nonprofit organizations. Her favorite tool from the quality management movement is the inter-relationship digraph or IR digraph, and it’s become her go-to tool for any cluster of goals or ideas that need to be prioritized from a systems point of view. The quality management gave us several data-based tools, such as scattergrams that are based on observed data.  The IR diagram is based on your knowledge and intuition of how things work in your organization, not based on data. 


  • No refunds or credits for registration cancellations.
  • Registration closes at midnight the day before the workshop.
  • Registered participants will receive instructions for joining the live session and any additional details 1 day in advance and the morning of the event. Please be sure to look for the link in your email.
  • Workshops begin promptly at 12:00PM Eastern.  Please log on at least 15 minutes in advance to ensure your internet connections, audio and other settings are functioning properly.
  • MAFN Members have access to all online workshop recordings via the MAFN website.
  • For registration or membership questions contact

© Copyright 2021 MAFN | Privacy Policy

Sign up for our email list

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software